How to Filter groundwater for metals analysis
Waterra FHT & FMT 0.45 micron pore size to Filter Groundwater for Metal Analysis
How to Filter groundwater for metals analysis can vary by jurisdiction. Many jurisdictions specify that groundwater samples collected for the purpose of determining metal content must be passed through a filter having a 0.45 micron pore size.
The philosophy is to remove suspended particulate matter that may contain or carry metals. It is deemed that this transported metal is not likely part of the normal groundwater flow but rather a by-product of establishing wells and sampling groundwater.
The bottom line is, there is a requirement for an efficient, cost effective means of filtering groundwater samples and why not do it in the field? A Waterra 0.45 micron Filter may be just what you need.
Waterra 0.45 Micron FHT or FMT are recommended to Filter groundwater for metal analysis.
- 0.45 micron pores size in a polyethersulphone membrane
- FMT – Medium capacity 300 sq cm
- FHT – High capacity 600 sq cm
- Waterra filters accommodate Waterra Tubing of 3/8 inch and ½ inch ID
- Disposable filters are low cost and eliminate cross contamination.
- Individually packaged
- Filter body is polyethylene and membrane support is polypropylene
- Manufactured in our cleanroom facility in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How to Filter groundwater for metals analysis.
- Complete the pre-sampling protocol (eg. purging 3 well volumes or low flow sampling or specified protocol)
- Insert a Waterra 0.45 micron Filter into the well tubing
- Continue pumping
- Direct the flow from the discharge outlet of the filter into your sampling vessel
- Use a new filter for each sample
Waterra Words of Wisdom
- 0.45 micron pore size is a groundwater “standard”
- Find the flow arrow on the filter and make sure you are feeding into the inlet
- Can be used with Eco Bailers carried by Waterra
- Do not re-use the filter to eliminate cross-contamination issues
- VOC tubing inserted into the discharge inlet can be used to direct the filtered flow
- Use the FHT inline filter for high turbidity environments and the FMT for low turbidity
- Waterra manufactures other filters with 0.1 micron, 0.22 micron, 0.45 micron, 1.2 micron and 5 micron pore sizes
Waterra 0.45 Micron (FHT & FMT) Groundwater Filter$USD 12.80 – $USD 1,180.00